Taylor Swift reigns as pop queen as icons Madonna and Janet Jackson make the list.
SEPTEMBER 24, 2015 (SAN FRANCISCO, CA) – StubHub, the world’s largest ticket marketplace, today announced the hottest concerts of the fall season, as determined by sales and demand drawn from its 16 million visitors and nearly 10 million live events per month. The list is bookended by two pop songstresses with Taylor Swift maintaining her lead position at #1 from the summer concert season and pop icon Janet Jackson making her way into the #10 spot. Madonna wins the #5 spot. Notably, legacy acts remain strong coming off a whirlwind summer led by The Grateful Dead and AC/DC taking the #2 position but with only eight shows. The rock legends command more sales per show than Taylor Swift.
TOP 10 FALL TOURS (OVERALL)*
- Taylor Swift
- Foo Fighters
- Ed Sheeran
- Luke Bryan
- Garth Brooks
- One Direction
- Billy Joel
- Janet Jackson
*As determined by total sales on StubHub for dates from Labor Day through Halloween
“The consistent popularity of legacy tours confirms the public’s appetite for experiencing live performances by their favorite bands from the past, perhaps for the last time,” said Jonah Freedman, StubHub Editor In Chief. “Whereas rock legacy acts popularized the summer this year, pop icons like Madonna and Janet Jackson are securing high demand this fall.”
Fall Concert Data Highlights:
- Taylor Swift not only leads as the top selling fall tour, but her October 17th show at AT&T Stadium in Dallas is the highest selling fall concert on StubHub.
- Similar to The Grateful Dead this past summer, rock veterans AC/DC are still filling up stadiums. With only eight shows left in North America for the “Rock or Bust World Tour,” AC/DC is commanding the highest ticket sales per show (average) on StubHub for their first trip to the continent in a half decade.
- One Direction was the #1 selling fall artist in 2014 but after the recent announcement of a post-tour hiatus, the boy band sits at #8 this fall. However, they are still commanding the highest price per ticket of the season.
- Last fall’s 2nd hottest tour, Luke Bryan, is now the best deal for a ticket going into fall 2015 with tickets averaging around $100 per show and some tickets going for as low as $20.
- Pop icon Janet Jackson rounds out the top 10 with her first tour since 2011, but fellow legacy diva Madonna more than doubles her in terms of sales on StubHub with her worldwide “Rebel Heart” tour this fall.
- Festivals continue to stay hot this fall as Austin City Limits ranks #1 in terms of fall festival sales for the second year in a row on StubHub.
StubHub recently unveiled updates to the iOS and Android mobile and tablet apps, featuring new personalization tools, content partnerships and recommendation notifications to make it easier than ever for fans to easily discover live events. With iTunes library scanning (on iOS), personalized algorithms to identify team and artist favorites and more, the StubHub app helps ensure fans won’t miss some of their favorite acts, while also providing the opportunity to discover new acts based on personalized recommendations. Yelp and Foursquare integrations and easy-to-use mobile ticketing make the app even easier to plan a weekend on the go.
At StubHub, our mission is simple: help fans find fun. We connect fans with their favorite teams, shows and artists and introduce them to the ones they’ll love next. As one of the world’s largest ticket marketplaces, we enable fans to buy and sell tens of thousands of tickets, whenever they want, through our desktop and mobile experiences, including our StubHub and StubHub Music apps for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Android. Offering a superior fan experience at its core, StubHub reinvented the ticket resale market in 2000 and continues to lead it through innovation. Our industry firsts include the introduction of the first ticketing application, the first interactive seat mapping tool and the first live entertainment rewards program, Fan Rewards™. Our business partners include more than 60 teams in MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS and NCAA, plus ESPN, NBC Digital, AEG and Spectra Ticketing & Fan Engagement. Throughout North America and the United Kingdom, StubHub provides the total end-to-end event going experience.