StubHub’s Second Annual MLB Preview: Yankees Lead the Way With Most In-Demand Home Opener, Astros See World Series Bump
Jersey retirement ceremonies and heated rivalries draw MLB crowds
For the first time since 1968, all 30 MLB clubs will play on Opening Day, March 29th. We at StubHub compiled a season preview that takes a look at demand and trends for MLB’s 2018 regular season kickoff and onward. Top headlines include the Yankees return to dominance in terms of ticket demand, the Astros World Series bump, and offseason moves driving early sales.
- YANKEES SET TO HAVE THE #1 SELLING OPENING DAY GAME
- Coming off a 2017 postseason run and a trade for the reigning NL MVP Giancarlo Stanton, the Yankees are set to have StubHub’s #1 selling home opener in 2018.
- New York Yankees home opener against the Tampa Bay Rays, currently outsells the Los Angeles Dodgers’ home opener, StubHub’s 2nd top-selling home opening game, by 12%
- BIGGEST DODGERS’ HOME OPENER ON STUBHUB IN RECENT YEARS
- With Kershaw on the roster and coming off a World Series appearance, the Los Angeles Dodgers‘ 2018 home opener is the club’s best-selling in recent years and set to outpace the team’s 2017 home opener by 41% in ticket sales from this time last year.
- BARRY BONDS RETIREMENT IS THE MOST ANTICIPATED MOMENT OF THE REGULAR SEASON
- After home openers, Barry Bonds’ jersey retirement is the top selling game so far. The game to commemorate the former Pittsburgh Pirates and SF Giants player, Barry Bonds, is currently outselling the second top game of the season, Dodgers at Giants on 4/7, by 46%.
- THE MOST HEATED RIVALRY THIS SEASON: GIANTS V DODGERS
- YANKEES ARE THE MOST IN-DEMAND TEAM
- New York Yankees are StubHub’s top-selling team in MLB going into the season, outselling the San Francisco Giants and Boston Red Sox by 28% and 70% respectively.
- The team shows the third highest growth in the league as demand in terms of ticket sales is up 61% from last year, likely a result of the team’s off-season moves.
- ASTROS SEE WORLD SERIES BUMP
- This is the first time the Houston Astros have broken into StubHub’s top ten MLB teams going into the regular season in the last five years.
- The team’s ticket sales are up 223% from this time last year, the highest growth out of all the teams in the league.
- HONORABLE MENTION: ANGELS SEE OHTANI EFFECT
- With the big buzz around Shohei Ohtani’s debut season, the Los Angeles Angels come in as StubHub’s #11 top-selling team and the fourth highest growth team in the league as demand is up 55% from this time last year.
For more information and commentary on MLB opening day or any other event, please reach out to PR@StubHub.com.