Published May 30, 2018
Taylor Swift Leads Total Sales; Ed Sheeran Leads Per Show; Acts Spanning Decades Dominate
StubHub’s summer preview looks at U.S tour dates between Memorial Day and Labor Day 2018. Data is current as of May 30, 2018.
We at StubHub compiled our fourth-annual preview of the concert landscape, breaking down the most in-demand touring acts of Summer 2018. Highlights include:
- Taylor Swift returns to the top of StubHub’s list, unseating U2, who ranked as last summer’s top-selling act.
- Ed Sheeran commands the most sales per show on StubHub, marking his strongest demand on StubHub since he started touring.
- Nostalgia acts are also a significant portion of the summer touring landscape, with acts on the list representing a range of five different decades, the ‘90s trending highest among acts that span five different decades.
BACK AT THE TOP
- Taylor Swift outsells #2 act, The Eagles, by more than 40% of their total sales and #3 act, Harry Styles, by over 65%
- Swift’s average ticket price is 21% less than her 1989 Tour in 2015
- Journey & Def Leppard’s co-headlining tour is the busiest tour schedule of any of the acts taking the top-10 list with a whopping 44 dates this summer.
- The Eagles command the #2 most in-demand act, despite having the least amount of tour dates from the list (and about half of the dates as Taylor Swift).
- Sam Smith is the most affordable tour this summer with average ticket prices ranking 4% cheaper than the next most affordable act, Kenny Chesney. Smith’s Philadelphia show on July 4th at Wells Fargo Center is the most affordable at an average ticket price of $101.
- The best fan deal scored so far on StubHub this Summer was for Harry Styles, at only $6 for the Indianapolis show on June 27 at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.
- Catch Harry for a third of the price from his fall leg this time around.
MOVING ON UP
- Sheeran commands the most sales per show – nearly tripling the per-show sales of Taylor Swift, who comes in at #6 on a per-show basis.
- The Eagles account for three of the five most in-demand show dates this summer, including the #1 most in-demand concert of summer for their 7/28 Denver show at Coors Field.
- BEST TOP-10 DEAL: The Eagles in Arlington on 6/23 is the most affordable of the top ten shows this summer with a get-in price as low as $56 on StubHub.
- U2 takes the top 10 position for the third time in four years and the second year in a row, moving from the #1 spot last summer.
- Kenny Chesney, like U2, makes it on the top 10 for the third time in the last four years and represents the only country act on the top-selling act list.
- Sam Smith appears on the list for the first time ever.
1970S: THE EAGLES; PER SHOW: BILLY JOEL
1980S: JOURNEY & DEF LEPPARD, U2; PER SHOW: GEORGE STRAIT
- Journey & Def Leppard’s headline tour leads with most dates with Bostonians looking forward to the duo the most as their most in-demand show of the summer.
- This decade represents the most acts, with three placed on the top-selling 10 list.
- ‘90s acts, combined, generate the highest demand in ticket sales, outselling the ‘80s acts, – the next best-selling decade – by 45%, with just two more show dates.
2000S: TAYLOR SWIFT, BEYONCÉ & JAY-Z; PER SHOW: P!NK, JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE
- With only two acts on the list (Taylor Swift and Beyoncé), these women powerhouses generate the highest demand with combined sales between just the two of them outselling the three ‘90s acts combined (Foo Fighters, Kenny Chesney, Radiohead) by 18% despite having thirteen fewer tour dates.
2010S: HARRY STYLES, SAM SMITH; PER SHOW: ED SHEERAN
- Each act is hitting a particular touring milestone as their careers quickly ascend
TOP TRENDS THIS YEAR
- Female acts Taylor Swift, Beyoncé (co-headlining with Jay-Z), P!NK, Britney Spears, Shakira and Shania Twain have a strong showing in the top 30 otherwise populated by male rock acts.
- Farewell tours are a trend for the entire year but, for the summer, acts with goodbye dates are limited to Paul Simon, Ozzy Osbourne, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Slayer and Anita Baker.
- Elton John’s enormous global farewell tour gives us another one to look forward to at the start of Fall.
TOP SUMMER TOURS BY LOCATION
- MOST IN-DEMAND ACT: Bruce Springsteen is the top-selling act of the NY Metro area in terms of total sales.
- BIGGEST SHOW: Beyoncé & Jay-Z’s 8/2 show at MetLife Stadium is the most in-demand in terms of total sales
- BEST TOP-5 DEAL: Billy Joel is the most affordable of the top five shows with a get-in price as low as $51 for his 6/2 show at Madison Square Garden on StubHub.
- MOST IN-DEMAND ACT: The Foo Fighters are the top-selling act of Chicago in terms of total sales.
- BIGGEST SHOW: Foo Fighters’ 7/29 show at Wrigley Field is the most in-demand in terms of total sales
- BEST TOP-5 DEAL: Beyoncé & Jay-Z are the most affordable of the top five shows with a get-in price as low as $61 for their 8/10 show at Soldier Field on StubHub.
LA METRO SUMMER CONCERT TRENDS
- MOST IN-DEMAND ACT: P!NK is the top-selling act of the LA metro area in terms of total sales.
- BIGGEST SHOW: Ed Sheeran’s 8/18 show at Rose Bowl is the most in-demand in terms of total sales.
- BEST TOP-5 DEAL: Harry Styles is the most affordable of the top five shows with a get-in price as low as $47 for his 7/14 at the Forum on StubHub.
BAY AREA SUMMER CONCERT TRENDS
- MOST IN-DEMAND ACT: Ed Sheeran is the top-selling act of the Bay Area in terms of total sales.
- BIGGEST SHOW: Ed Sheeran’s 8/21 show at AT&T Park is the most in-demand in terms of total sales.
- BEST TOP-5 DEAL: Harry Styles is the most affordable of the top five shows with a get-in price as low as $22 for his 7/11 show at SAP Center on StubHub.
For more information and commentary on summer concerts or any other event, please reach out to PR@StubHub.com.