Published May 30, 2018
Welcome to deja vu. The defending NBA champion Golden State Warriors and the Eastern Conference champion Cleveland Cavaliers will face off for the fourth consecutive year in the NBA Finals starting this Thursday (6/1) at Oracle Arena in Oakland, California. This will be the first time ever two teams will face each other four times in a row in a final in any of North America’s four major sports leagues.
Each market is very familiar with playoff success and very familiar with each other. What does this mean for ticket demand? At StubHub, we took a look at some of the early numbers and trends as we head into the first game this week.
- Get-in price (Least expensive ticket available for purchase): $390 for Upper Level Baseline
- Tickets Available on StubHub: 3.8k
- Average Ticket Price (of tickets sold on StubHub): $1,366
- % of where buyers are coming from: CA 51%, NY 11%, 3% OH
- Get-in price: $500 for Upper Level Baseline
- Tickets Available on StubHub: 2.9k
- Average Ticket Price: $1,311
- % of where buyers are coming from: 55% CA, 10% AZ, 2% OH
- Get-in price: $224 for Upper End
- Tickets Available on StubHub: 2.8k
- Average Ticket Price: $848
- % of where buyers are coming from: 36% OH, 7% NY, 7% CA
- Get-in price: $275 for Upper Corner
- Tickets Available on StubHub: 2.4k
- Average Ticket Price: $789
- % of where buyers are coming from: 26% OH, 15% NY, 8% CA
What is demand looking like compared to recent years?
When we see a finals matchup repeat year over year like this at StubHub, it can sometimes lead to an opportunity for fans to get into these incredibly high demand games at relatively lower prices. Four years in a row of ticket opportunity warranted to the same two fan bases can have that effect on the ticket market. So far this year, StubHub is seeing the lowest NBA Finals price tag since 2016, with an average ticket price for the first four games sitting at $1,063 down 6% from last year.
NBA Finals Ranked In Order of Ticket Demand
Based on ticket sales from this time last year for games 1-4 on StubHub.
Average Ticket Prices of Game 1-4 (starting from the least expensive):
- 2016: $925
- 2018: $1,063
- 2017: $1,125
- 2015: $1,188
Based on the average ticket price of tickets sold for games 1-4 on StubHub.
Where are sales coming from?
NBA is a widely popular sport both at home and abroad. Ticket purchases for NBA Finals games on StubHub have been registered in a total of 31 different countries. For the 2018 playoffs as a whole, buyers from 82 different countries purchased tickets on StubHub.
For more information and commentary on the NBA Finals or any other event, please reach out to PR@StubHub.com.