StubHub’s Second Annual NCAA College Football Preview: Alabama Tops Michigan for First Time in Five Seasons, LSU vs. Miami Most In-Demand Matchup
Georgia is in the top ten for the first time and TCU sees the largest jump in demand across all teams; approximately 58 percent of regular season ticket sales come from buyers located more than 120 miles away from the venue
See Past NCAA College Football Preview: 2017
With the 2018 NCAA Division I football season only two weeks from its August 25 kickoff, StubHub’s event experts crunched the numbers to find the hottest selling teams, matchups and rivalry games of the season in our latest NCAA College Football Preview.
Top highlights include:
- Alabama tops Michigan on StubHub’s most in-demand team list for the first time in five seasons.
- Georgia makes StubHub’s list for the first time in five seasons.
- TCU sees the largest jump in demand out of any of StubHub’s top 10 selling teams.
- LSU vs. Miami is the most in-demand matchup heading into the season.
- Big Ten is the most popular conference heading into the season for the fifth year in a row.
New for the 2018 season is StubHub’s partnership with Texas A&M University, bringing our NCAA partner total to over 60 schools overall. More in-depth highlights can be found in StubHub’s comprehensive preview below. All data is current at the time of publishing.
In addition to Michigan being dethroned, only half the teams were on this very same list last year. Four of the teams added to the list had never been placed higher than position 15 in the past four years
BAMA TOPS MICHIGAN AT #1
Alabama tops Michigan as StubHub’s most in-demand college football team.
- This marks the first season in five years a team other than Michigan ranks #1 on StubHub heading into a season.
- Demand is up 45% year over year for Alabama games on StubHub, based on ticket sales.
“With key rivalries, Auburn and Texas A&M, returning to Bryant Denny Stadium this season, StubHub is seeing extraordinary leading demand from Alabama,” said Jill Krimmel, StubHub’s General Manager of NCAA Sports and MLB. “Riding off the excitement of another national championship and these rivalry matchups, it’s understandable that we’re seeing Alabama dethrone Michigan from a five-year-strong lead.”
TRENDING TEAMS: GEORGIA AND TCU
- Georgia lands at #7, marking its first appearance in five years on StubHub’s Top-10 Preview, riding the success of last year’s national championship game appearance.
- TCU’s growth marks the largest jump of any team in StubHub’s top-10 rankings.
- TCU demand has grown consecutively the last three years and demand is up 298% over last year according to sales.
26 unique teams make up the list of most in-demand teams by state – the teams that generate the most sales from a particular state on StubHub.
ALABAMA TOPS DEMAND ACROSS THE COUNTRY; TEXAS PURCHASES THE MOST TICKETS
- Alabama Crimson Tide leads the list as a top seller in nine unique states, the most out of any other school.
- Texans have purchased the most in college football tickets
- Texans drive nearly 50% more in ticket sales than the second top-purchasing state, Florida.
- Approximately 58% of regular season ticket sales come from buyers located more than 120 miles away from the venue.
“College football fans are a different breed,” said Krimmel. “They possess a passion that is hard to find anywhere else, as we’ve seen fans are willing to travel greater distances to see their teams than we see in any other sport.”
“Big Ten Conference teams continue to drive incredible interest from college football fans,” continued Krimmel. “Michigan and Ohio State are two particular teams that fans either love to root for or love to root against.”
MICHIGAN AND OHIO STATE APPEAR IN MORE TOP 10 GAMES THAN ANY OTHER TEAM
StubHub continues to see strong demand from across the country to see the two storied Big Ten programs.
- Ohio State and Michigan are each featured in three of StubHub’s top 10 games.
- The two teams’ historic rivalry matchup in November is already one of StubHub’s top 10 selling games at #9.
BEST-SELLING RIVALRY: OHIO STATE VS PENN STATE
Ohio State’s visit to Happy Valley in September tops the list as StubHub’s best-selling conference rivalry matchup
- This matchup outsells the next highest selling one, Auburn vs. Alabama, by 60%.
BIG TEN AND SEC DOMINATE THE TOP 10 LIST
Nine matchups out of StubHub’s top 10 involve a Big Ten or SEC school
- USC vs. Texas is the only game appearing on the list outside of these two conferences.
LSU VS MIAMI: MOST ANTICIPATED KICKOFF GAME AT A LOWER PRICE TAG
- StubHub’s most anticipated matchup heading into the season according to sales is Miami vs. LSU at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, the first time they’ve matched up in 13 years.
- This demand tops the full season’s list but owns kickoff weekends by more than 54% over the weekend’s next best-selling kickoff game, West Virginia-Tennessee matchup.
- The Advocare Classic can be seen at a lower price tag as the average ticket price is down 7% compared to last year’s Michigan-Florida matchup.
For more information and commentary on NCAA College Football or any other event – please reach out to PR@StubHub.com.